Pages

Ads 468x60px

Labels

Wednesday 16 January 2008

Linking BI Technology, Process and People – A Theory of Constraints (TOC) View


With the advent of a new year, let me do a recap of what I have discussed through my 15 odd posts in 2007 and also set the direction for my thoughts in 2008.
I started with the concept (http://blogs.hexaware.com/business_intelligence/2007/06/business-intell.html) of BI Utopia in which information is available to all stakeholders at the right time, right time and in the right format. The bottomline is to help organizations compete on analytics in the marketplace. With that concept as the starting point, I explored some technology enablers like Real Time Data Integration, Data Modeling, Service Oriented architecture etc. and also some implementation enablers like Agile Framework, Calibration of DW systems and Function points based estimation for DW. In my post on Data Governance, I introduced the position of a CDO (Chief Data Officer) to drive home the point that nothing is possible (atleast in BI) without people!
To me, BI is about 3 things – Technology, Process, People. I consider these three as the holy triumvirate for successful implementation of Business Intelligence in any organization – Not only are the individual areas important by itself but the most important thing is the link between these 3 areas. Organizations that are serious about ‘Analytics’ should continuously elevate their technology, process & people capability and more importantly strengthen the link between them – afterall, any business endeavor is only as good as its weakest link.
Theory of Constraints (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Constraints) does offer a perspective, which I feel is really useful for BI practitioners. I will explore more of this in my subsequent posts.
My direction in 2008 for posts on this blog are:
  1. Continue with my thoughts on Business Intelligence along Technology, Process and People dimensions

  2. Provide a “Theory of Constraints” based view of BI with focus on strengthening the link between the 3 dimensions mentioned above.

Almost every interesting business area – Six Sigma, Balanced Scorecard, System Dynamics, Business Modeling, Enterprise Risk, Competitive Intelligence, etc. has its relationship with BI and we will see more of this in 2008.
Please do keep reading and share your thoughts as well Business Intelligence

0 comments:

Post a Comment